Free Internal Wall Insulation Grants

Free internal wall insulation could save you £540 on your energy bills

Around a third of heat losses is through uninsulated walls. If you have solid walls an ECO4 internal wall insulation grant you could save £540 per year on your energy bills.

Why do I need internal solid wall insulation?

If your home was built before the 1920’s there is a high chance that the external walls are solid.

It was only after World War One, in the 1920’s that cavity walls began to become the main building type and was originally done to stop moisture penetrating from the outside to the inside of the wall.

Around a third of heat lost in a home is via uninsulated walls. Insulating your solid walls will not only cut your heating costs significantly but will also make your home more comfortable.

Figures from the Energy Saving Trust show that the savings you could make by insulating your solid walls are around £540 for a typical gas heated semi-detached house.

What is internal wall insulation?

Internal wall insulation is completed by fitting either rigid insulation boards to the wall, or by building a stud wall filled with mineral wool fibre.

The choice of materials is dependent on the construction of your home and any other works that you may have had completed previously. However, our preferred choice of material for internal wall insulation is filled studs as this allows the property to keep breathing as it was originally intended.

All internal wall insulation completed by GRS ECO comes with a 25 year insurance backed guarantee for peace of mind.

How do I know if I’ve got a solid wall?

If you can see the brickwork pattern on the outside of your home, have a look at the pattern of bricks.

If you only see long bricks in an even pattern, it’s likely you have got cavity walls. This pattern can also be seen on timber frame properties which may also require internal wall insulation.

If, however, you have an alternating patter of long and short bricks, it is likely that you have got solid walls.

If the brickwork has been covered up, you can also tell by measuring the thickness of the wall from a window opening. If the wall is more than 26cm thick then it probably has a cavity, but, if it’s thinner – usually around 22cm or 9 inches – then it’s probably solid.

Stone walls will usually be much thicker.

If you’ve got a cavity wall we can still help you with a cavity wall insulation grant.


When you install insulation you are reducing the amount of air that can circulate. Poor ventilation in a home can lead to condensation forming which can cause mould and damp patches to appear.

To ensure that this doesn’t happen we will bring your homes ventilation up to the latest standards and install additional ventilation where required as part of the ECO4 grant.

Do I qualify for a free insulation grant?

To qualify for a free insulation grant, you (or your tenant if you are a landlord), must be in receipt of one of the benefits listed below:

Child Benefit (conditions apply)
Child Tax Credit
Employment & Support Allowance
Housing Benefit
Income support
Job Seekers Allowance
Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
Pension Credit Savings Credit
Universal Credit
Working Tax Credit
Warm Homes Discount

I’m not receiving one of these benefits, can I be helped?

Up to 50% of energy efficiency measures installed in England, Wales and Scotland can be completed through the ECO4 Flex scheme and is for households whose combined gross income is below £31,000 per year or if you have certain health conditions which would make you vulnerable to the cold.

The ECO4 Flex scheme is administered by Local Authorities who are responsible for rolling it out in your area and they will verify your income or health eligibility. It is rolling out slowly and is expected to be fully live by April 2023.

We will check as part of your application if your area is now open for applications.

I’m a Landlord, can I get any help?

The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) came in to effect in April 2018 and means that all rented properties must now have a minimum energy efficiency rating of band ‘E’ unless exempted.

However, from 2025, all properties rented on new tenancies must meet a minimum energy efficiency rating of Band ‘C’ and properties with existing tenants must be brought up to this standard by 2028. Failure to do so could result in a fine of up to £30,000.

These changes are in line with the Government’s net zero emissions by 2050 targets and will also apply to properties which are being sold from 2035.

How can we help?

If your tenant is receiving one of the benefits listed above your property will be eligible for a grant to improve your property, including installing internal wall insulation.

In fact, the ECO4 scheme says that all Band ‘E’ rated properties must reach a minimum Band ‘C’ after installation of energy efficiency measures.

Applying for your grant is as easy as 1, 2, 3…

1. Apply

Complete the online application form and we will contact you to check that you qualify for free insulation, heating upgrades or solar through either the ECO4 or ECO4 Flex scheme

2. Survey

Once we have confirmed that you qualify, we will arrange for one of our Retrofit Assessors to complete a free, no obligation survey which will provide you with an idea of how much energy you can save

3. Install

We will arrange the installation of your free home upgrades by one of our fully trained and accredited installers who will remove any waste and clear away any mess caused by the installation